My protein bar formula post was very popular, so I decided to create a smoothie formula as well. The art of the smoothie is easy to learn once you know these basic steps:
- First, you need a base ingredient like frozen fruit. I use frozen bananas all the time because they are naturally sweet and work great for creamy smoothies, my favorite kind!
- Then, choose your liquid. If you do want that creamy milkshake effect, use milk instead of juice or water. I find that almond milk is the perfect smoothie liquid. If you’re going for something tart and fruity, try juice or coconut water. (pineapple coconut water works wonders!)
- Next, add your extras. This can be anything from oats (for thickening), to vanilla extract. I always add chia seeds and ground flaxseed because they thicken the smoothie and have tons of health benefits.
- Now just blend it up and you’re all set!
- As I mention in almost all of my smoothie posts, mason jars fit on standard blenders. Just screw on the bottom piece and then flip the whole thing upside down to connect to the base of the blender, and you’re good to go! No need to use the giant pitcher, and you can even take it to go.
- You also don’t really need to measure once you’ve been practicing your smoothie making. I put in my liquid last to make sure it covers everything and that’s how I know how much to use. To little and it won’t blend, too much and it will be too soupy.
- Sneak some greens in there. Try adding a handful of spinach or kale into the smoothie for a healthy boost. If you have the right ratio, you won’t even notice it’s in there.
You can put anything in a smoothie. It’s all a matter of knowing what flavors compliment each other. I don’t recommend pineapple and coffee…it just doesn’t work. But chocolate protein powder and coffee, now THAT’s a combo. Once, I added cream cheese to a pumpkin smoothie to make it into a pumpkin cheesecake smoothie…yum! These are ingredients I keep on hand for smoothies.
- frozen fruit
- peanut butter
- almond butter
- chia seeds
- protein powder
- cold coffee
- milk (almond milk works wonders)
- coconut water
- pumpkin puree
- vanilla extract
- almond extract
- cocoa powder
- maple syrup
- shredded coconut
- cream cheese
For more ideas check out some of my smoothie recipes: